-- Governor’s Office Expected To Announce Further Steps To Regulate A.I. Data Centers ‘Shortly;’ 100 Data Center Proposals Being Discussed in PA, 55 Have Some Interaction With DEP [PaEN]
-- In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - August 17 [PaEN]
Energy Costs
-- Inquirer: Why Your PECO Electric Bills Could Increase Thanks To A.I. Data Centers
-- WVIA: Group In Monroe County Calls On PA Legislature To Help Residents Struggling With Rising Energy Costs
Grid
-- Public Utility Commission Sets Oct. 29 Prehearing On Transource Pennsylvania, LLC 230kV Project 9A West Transmission Line In Franklin County [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Stormwater Permit For PPL Electric Stanton Summit Transmission Line Rebuild In Lackawanna, Luzerne Counties [PaEN]
-- PJM Formally Submits FERC Proposal On Connecting Data Centers That Bring And Don't Bring Their Own Power Supplies [PaEN]
-- PJM: FERC Accepts PJM Minimum Capitalization Rules To Be Eligible To Participate In PJM Markets
-- PJM, Dominion Energy Reviewing Impacts Of Sudden Disconnection Of 3,800 MW Of Electricity Load By A.I. Data Centers In Virginia On July 22
-- Reuters: US Power Use To Hit Record Highs In 2026, 2027 As A.I. Use Surges, EIA Says
Generation
-- Utility Dive: PPL Corp - Blackstone Joint Venture Secures 5 GW Of Natural Gas Turbines For A.I. Data Centers In Pennsylvania
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: NextEra Secures First Funding Under US-Japan Deal For Data Center Natural Gas Plant Somewhere In Southwest PA
Legislation
-- Governor’s Office Expected To Announce Further Steps To Regulate A.I. Data Centers ‘Shortly;’ 100 Data Center Proposals Being Discussed in PA, 55 Have Some Interaction With DEP [PaEN]
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: General Assembly Likely To Take Up A.I. Data Centers Again Soon
-- The Center Square: Noisy A.I. Data Center Debate Goes On While PA Lawmakers On Summer Break
-- Lancaster State Sen. Malone Stands With Local Municipal Leaders To Demand The PA Senate Pass A.I. Data Center Moratorium Legislation
-- WITF: Lancaster County Officials Call For A Pause, More Local Control To Regulate A.I. Data Centers
-- Inquirer Editorial: Pennsylvania’s Data Center Boom Needs A Pause
-- Kleinman Center For Energy Policy Blog: Pennsylvania Has Yet To Meaningfully Regulate Exploding A.I. Data Center Development - By John Quigley, Senior Fellow [Part 1 of 2]
-- Kleinman Center For Energy Policy Blog: PA Responsible Infrastructure Development (GRID) Proposal For A.I. Data Centers Falls Well Short Of Its Stated Goals - By John Quigley, Senior Fellow [Part 2 of 2]
-- Chesapeake Bay Journal: Q/A With Chesapeake Legal Alliance: A.I. Data Centers And Nondisclosure Agreements In Bay Watershed
Land Use
-- PA Capital-Star: A.I. Data Center Proposals Keep Coming To Pennsylvania - So Does The Outcry
-- WHYY - Susan Phillips: Opposition To A.I. Data Center Construction Is Rising Sharply, Penn Poll Says
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Southwest PA Officials Visit Virginia’s ‘Data Center Alley’ Amid Local Development Boom
-- PA Capital-Star: A.I. Data Center Developers Want To Build In 3 PA Communities - Each Has Its Own Experience
-- Scranton Times: A.I. Data Center Developer Proposing To Build 4 Data Centers Files New Appeals Against Dickson City
-- Scranton Times: 5th Hearing On Essential Energy Data Center Power Plant In Archbald Boro Resumes Aug. 18
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Hollenback Twp. Landowners Embrace A.I. Data Centers On Their Farm Land In Luzerne County
-- Republican Herald: PUC Administrative Law Judges Put Water Use Request For Project Hazelnut A.I. Data Center On Hold While Legal Challenge To Hazle Twp. Land Use Decision Is Considered In Luzerne County Court
-- WNEP: Smithfield Twp., Monroe County To Set Vote On A.I Data Center Zoning Measures
-- Morning Call: Here’s How Lehigh Valley Communities Are Pushing Back Against A.I. Data Center Proposals
-- Morning Call: A.I. Data Center Developer At Talen Energy Power Plant Submits New Plan To Lower Mount Bethel Twp. In Northampton County
-- Morning Call: A.I. Data Center Proposal In Upper Macungie Twp. On Air Products Site Will Not Move Forward In Lehigh County
-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: A.I. Data Center Developer Offers Upper Mount Bethel Twp. $50 Million To Approve Data Center Campus In Northampton County
-- Morning Call: Upper Mount Bethel Twp. Sets Aug. 24 Meeting To Consider $50 Million A.I. Data Center Agreement With Developers
-- LancasterOnline: Manheim Twp. Seeks Stopgap Zoning Amendment On A.I. Data Center Development In Lancaster County
-- Erie Times: Erie County Council To Consider A.I. Data Center Regulations Aug. 19
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: A.I. Data Center Developer Files Application For 3 Building Campus At Former Raceway Site In Big Beaver Boro, Beaver County
-- TribLive: Springdale-Area Residents Express Their Concerns About An A.I. Data Center Coming To Their Town
-- TribLive: Buffalo Twp. Pauses A.I. Data Center Proposals While it Establishes An Ordinance To Deal With Them In Butler County
-- TribLive: Allegheny Twp. Looks To Draft A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Butler County
-- Reuters: Alpha Compute To Buy PA Land, 1,800 Acres Of Natural Gas Rights For $55 Million, 200 MW Data Center Campus [No Location Announced]
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Updated Map Of Data Center Projects In Pittsburgh Region
-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map
Impacts
-- Pittsburgh Business Times - Babst Calland Law: One Year Later - How PA’s A.I. Data Center Rules Are Rewriting Deal Terms
-- Republican Herald Letter: A.I. Data Center Developers - Our New Coal Barons - By Kevin Gallagher, Dunmore, Lackawanna County
-- Republican Herald Editorial: Don’t Delay Studies Of Health, Environmental Impact Of A.I. Data Centers
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Pittsburgh-Area Suppliers Tapping Into A.I. Data Center Business
Public Participation/Meetings
-- DEP Invites Comments On Air Quality Permit For Installation Of 86 More Backup Diesel Generators, Fuel Storage Tanks For An Expansion Of The Existing Amazon Data Center In Salem Twp., Luzerne County [PaEN]
-- Public Utility Commission Sets Oct. 29 Prehearing On Transource Pennsylvania, LLC 230kV Project 9A West Transmission Line In Franklin County [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Stormwater Permit For PPL Electric Stanton Summit Transmission Line Rebuild In Lackawanna, Luzerne Counties [PaEN]
-- Concerned Citizens Of Montour County Announce Aug. 20 DEP Meeting To Discuss How The Environmental Justice Permit Policy May Apply To Proposed Talen Energy Natural Gas Power Plant In Derry Twp., Montour County [PaEN]
-- Morning Call: Upper Mount Bethel Twp. Sets Aug. 24 Meeting To Consider $50 Million A.I. Data Center Agreement With Developers
-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA
Politics
-- Inquirer: How Josh Shapiro’s Early Embrace Of A.I. Data Centers Is Testing His High Popularity In Pennsylvania
-- Republican Herald: Former Rep. Todd Eachus Faces Disorderly Conduct Charges From Amazon A.I. Data Center Hearing In Kline Twp., Schuylkill County
A.I. Policy
-- WITF: How A.I., School Surveillance Systems Help Schools Respond Faster To Threats
-- WESA: Healthcare Industry Is Deploying A.I. Faster Than It Can Govern It, UPMC Report Finds
[Posted: August 16, 2026] PA Environment Digest

No comments :
Post a Comment