Saturday, October 10, 2026

In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - October 12

Here are Articles and NewsClips on A.I. and data center issues from last week you may have missed--



Opposition

-- Hundreds Of Protesters Tell Governor Shapiro, Legislators, “We Won’t Back Down;” Call For Data Center Moratorium  [PaEN] 

-- Erie Times/USAToday: Capitol Rally Pushes Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Moratorium; Protesters Compare Data Centers To Unfulfilled Promises Of Jobs, Eco-Friendly Of Shale Gas Fracking Industry

-- The Center Square: Disgust, Frustration, Concern Over A.I. Data Centers Unleashed In State Capitol

-- PA Capital-Star: A Call For Gov. Shapiro And State Lawmakers To Pass An A.I. Data Center Moratorium In PA

-- Altoona Mirror: Protesters Demand Legislative Action On A.I. Data Center Moratorium

Energy Costs

-- Bloomberg: How A.I. Data Centers Are Pushing Up US Power Costs

Legislation

-- Evangelical Environmental Network Action Celebrates PA House Passage Of Battery Storage Legislation With Bipartisan Support  [PaEN]  

-- Tribune-Democrat: PA House Advances Bill Requiring Battery Storage For Electric Utilities To Increase Grid Reliability [Republicans Oppose]

-- Sen. Keefer’s Bill Requiring Proof Of Water Supply Before Land Development Projects Can Be Approved Given Final Approval [Governor Signs Into Law]

-- The Center Square: PA Legislation Would Allow Communities To Price Shop For Electricity For Their Residents

Grid

-- Utility Dive: PJM To File Revised Backstop Plan With FERC By Oct. 29 To Procure 6.8 GW Of Needed Generation; In Rare Filing, DOE Presses PJM To Better Protect Ratepayers

-- PA Capital-Star: Some State Leaders Say Changes To PJM’s Electric Grid Governance Aren’t Enough

-- Asset Leadership Network: Root Cause Of Energy Unaffordability In PA - Kabuki Theater In Public Utility Ratemaking - And Bad Decision Making - By Richard C. Culbertson, Senior Fellow

Generation

-- Inquirer: Constellation Energy’s Limerick (PA), Salem (NJ) Nuclear Power Plants In Deal To Be Uprated To Sell Data Center Electricity To Google 

-- PJM Selects 860 MW Battery Storage Project, 455 MW Natural Gas Plant In Pennsylvania For Expedited Interconnection [PaEN] 

-- DEP Soliciting Energy Generation, Storage Projects For 2027 Round Of PJM Expedited Interconnection  Program Reviews  [PaEN] 

-- Chesapeake Bay Journal: Virginia Energy Plan Takes ‘Clean First, Least Cost’ Approach To Meeting Clean Energy Goals, Rising Data Center Energy Demand

-- Reuters Commentary: Renewables Help US Power System Survive Summer Stress Test [PJM Included]

-- The Center Square: FERC Determines Google Is A Wholesale Power Seller In PJM Service Area 

Land Use

-- PUC Chairman Calls For Preemption Of Local Decisions On Needed Electric Generation Facilities; A Firm Bring Your Own Power Before Data Centers Connect To The Grid; PUC Study Identifies 21 Potential Generation Sites [PaEN] 

-- Scranton Times: Archbald Planning Commission Meets Today [Oct. 7] To Discuss Project Gravity A.I. Data Center Proposal; Developer Proposes Using 430 MW Of Batteries As Backup Power 

-- Scranton Times: Archbald Residents Show Resistance To Project Gravity Data Center, 430 MW Battery Backup Proposal

-- Scranton Times: Ransom Twp. Supervisors To Vote Monday [Oct.5] On A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Lackawanna County

-- Scranton Times: Ransom Township Outlines Concerns About Proposed Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Project Near A Proposed A.I. Data Center In Lackawanna County

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: In Pennsylvania, Residents Turn Down $10,000/Household In Hazle Twp., Luzerne County To Back An A.I. Data Center: ‘It’s Like Bribery’ 

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Newport Twp. Supervisors Release Documents Outlining Plan For $35 Billion Data Center, 3 Natural Gas Power Plants Only After Right-To-Know Request By The Citizens’ Voice In Luzerne County

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader: Hundreds Gather To Oppose A.I. Data Centers In Newport Twp. Monday In Luzerne County

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Hundreds Crowd Newport Twp. Meeting Over A.I. Data Center Concerns

-- Fit Energy Data Center/Power Plant Developer Says It Is Working With Newport Township On A Community Benefits Agreement; Township Manager Welcomed The Company's Investment In The Luzerne County Community  [PaEN]  

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader: A.I. Data Center Developer Responds To Residents’ Concerns In Newport Township; Quotes Township Manager As Welcoming Their Investment

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader: Rep. Ryncavage Outlines Potential Legal Challenge To Newport Twp. A.I. Data Center Proposal Zoning Notice

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Hanover Twp. To Consider A.I. Data Center Overlay District On Former Coal Mining Land In Luzerne County

-- Scranton Times: Blakely Boro To Add A Layer Of A.I. Data Center Regulations Through Its Electric Company 

-- Williamsport Sun: Muncy Township To Hold Nov. 6 Hearing On A.I. Data Center Proposal

-- PA Capital-Star: PA’s Environmental Rights Amendment Is Focus Of Muncy Township Challenge To Planning Code ‘Deemed Approved’ Provision In Lycoming County

-- Altoona Mirror: 200 People Crowd Meeting Objecting To Proposed A.I. Data Center In Taylor Twp., Lycoming County

-- Williamsport Sun: City Of Williamsport Council Finalizes Draft Zoning Ordinance For A.I. Data Centers In Lycoming County

-- Reading Eagle: City Of Reading Weighs Zoning Rules For A.I. Data Centers

-- Republican Herald: Eastern Schuylkill Regional Planning Commission Designates Sites In Tamaqua And Schuylkill Township Suitable For A.I. Data Centers In Schuylkill County

-- PennLive: Developer Of Proposed A.I. Data Center In Watts Township Proposing Multi-Million Dollar Community Benefits Agreement In Perry County

-- PennLive: Swatara Township Commissioners Approve $120 Million Community Benefits Agreement With Developer Of 2 Proposed A.I. Data Centers In The Township At The Same Meeting The Agreement Was Unveiled To The Public For The First Time In Dauphin County

-- WITF: Swatara Township Residents Question 2 A.I. Data Center Proposals Planned Near Homes, Church in Dauphin County

-- Pittsburgh’s Public Source: Records Reveal Sprawling 28 Building A.I. Data Center And 1 GW Natural Gas Power Plant Plans In Elizabeth Twp., Allegheny County; Township Town Hall Meeting Oct. 13

-- TribLive: Ross Township Commissioners Consider Need For A.I. Data Center Regulations In Allegheny County

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: A.I. Data Center Developer Announces Tioga County Site For Shale Gas Drilling/Natural Gas Power Plant/Data Center Complex And Beaver County Property For Future Development 

-- Local21News: Take A Tour Of The TECfusions Data Center Under Construction In Upper Burrell Twp., Westmoreland County

-- Observer-Reporter: Starpointe A.I. Data Center/Natural Gas Power Plant Developer Paid For Flights To Chicago, Lunch For Hanover Twp. Supervisors In Washington County

-- Washington Post Guest Essay: Technology Improvements Will Mean A.I. Data Center Facilities Will Shrink Considerably Resembling Today’s Dreary Indoor Shopping Malls - By  Todd G. Buchholz, Former White House Director Of Economic Policy

-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map

Public Participation/Meetings

-- DEP Invites Comments On A Chapter 105 Permit For Amazon Data Services Project Rosebud II In Luzerne County   [PaEN]  

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Elizabeth Township To Hold Oct. 13 Town Hall Meeting On A New Proposed A.I. Data Center/Natural Gas Power Plant In Allegheny County 

-- Beaver County Community Organizing Summit On A.I. Data Centers Set For Oct. 17 In Monaca  [PaEN]

-- Cumberland County Water Forum To Be Held October 21 At Dickinson College In Carlisle  [PaEN]  

-- PUC Sets Nov. 17-18 Hearings On NextEra 500 KV MidAtlantic Resilience Transmission Line Project In Greene, Fayette Counties  [PaEN] 

-- DEP Sets Nov. 18 Hearing On Mid-Atlantic Interstate Transmission Line Project In Lehman And Delaware Townships, Pike County  [PaEN] 

-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA

Impacts

-- Washington Post: A.I. Data Center Boom Is Pushing Prices Higher, According To Fed Officials 

-- Washington Post Guest Essay: Technology Improvements Will Mean A.I. Data Center Facilities Will Shrink Considerably Resembling Today’s Dreary Indoor Shopping Malls - By  Todd G. Buchholz, Former White House Director Of Economic Policy

-- Morning Call: What’s It Like Living In The Shadow Of An A.I. Data Center? These New Jersey Residents Know

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Outmaneuvered, Outmatched And Outspent: How A.I. Data Centers Are Overwhelming Small-Town America

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Play This A.I. Data Center Simulator To Step Into The Role Of Decision-Maker

Politics

-- Washington Post - Salena Zito: In Pennsylvania, Gov. Shapiro Faces A Data Center Controversy Burning Where Coal Once Did 

[Posted: October 10, 2026] PA Environment Digest

No comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe To Receive Updates:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner