Energy Costs
-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: A.I. Data Center-Driven Electricity Demand In PA, Surrounding States Outstripping Supply, Keeping Prices High
-- WHYY - Susan Phillips: As Utility Rates Continue To Rise In PA, Coalition Is Pushing For Renewables To Rein In Costs
-- PA Coalition Launches Building A Brighter PA To Lower Energy Bills, Build A Clean-Energy Economy Over The Next 4 Years [PaEN]
-- Utility Dive: PJM Market Monitor: Data Centers Drove $6.3 Billion In July PJM Generation Capacity Auction Costs; Over Last 4 Auctions - $29.4 Billion In Costs
Legislation
-- The Allegheny Front: Where Pennsylvania Stands With Regulating 80 A.I. Data Center Proposals
-- Spotlight PA: PA Lawmakers Leave $2 Billion A.I. Data Center Sales Tax Exemption Untouched In PA Budget
-- Reading Eagle: State Sen. Muth Criticizes State Budget Tricks, Failure To Pass A.I. Data Center Regulations
-- Inquirer: Shapiro Administration Consulted With Amazon And Data Centers On Shaping Governor’s GRID Data Center Proposals, Records Show [Reported Weeks Ago By Other Media]
-- AP: Democrats Seize On A.I. Data Center Backlash That’s Dividing Rural Republicans In Places Like TX, PA
President’s Voluntary ‘Pledge’
-- President Expands Ratepayer Protection ‘Pledge’ For A.I. Data Centers To Pay Full Cost Of Energy, Supporting Infrastructure [PJM Ratepayers Already Paying $29.4 Billion In Added Electricity Costs] [PaEN]
-- TribLive/AP: President Expands Voluntary Pledge To Protect Consumers From High Utility Bills Driven By A.I. Data Center Demands
-- PPL Utilities Signs President’s Ratepayer Protection Pledge [Except It Doesn’t Cover Projects Like Transmission Lines, Other Infrastructure Structure Already Approved]
-- PennLive: PPL Signs Pledge To Protect Consumers From Higher Electric Bills Due To A.I. Data Center Demand Saying It Already Follows Principles [PPL Ratepayers Now Paying For Grid Upgrades For Data Centers, Much Higher Power Bills Due To Spiking Demand]
Grid
-- The Center Square: PPL Electric Condemnation Of Land For Transmission Lines Needed To Feed A.I. Data Centers Triggers Stress, Anxiety In Luzerne County
-- Morning Call Guest Essay: PJM Is Not Delivering Affordable Power Fast Enough In The Face Of A.I. Data Center Spiking Demands, Consumers Are Paying The Price - By Jeaneen Zappa, Keystone Energy Efficiency Alliance
-- The Center Square: Future PJM Regional Power Supply Down, But Not Out
-- PA Capital-Star: Advocates, Regulators Both Call For Reforms At PJM: ‘Market Participants Have Lost Confidence In PJM’s Decision-Making Abilities’
Generation
-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Public Can Weigh In On Three Mile Island Nuclear Data Center Power Plant Restart During July 28 NRC Meeting
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Pittsburgh-based Exus Renewables Secures $356 Million For 2 Wind Projects In Cambria County As Demand From Data Centers Accelerates
-- Tribune-Democrat: Exus Renewables Closes On Wind Energy Facility Financing For Cambria County Project
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Mainspring Linear Generator Secures State Funding For 600-Job Plant Near Pittsburgh
-- Utility Dive: Natural Gas Power Generation Decreased 4% In 2025; Coal-Fired Power Plant Generation Increased 13%; Wind & Solar Generation Increased 3% and 34%
Land Use
-- Scranton Times: Archbald, Dickson City, Throop Boro To Hold Hearings This Week On A.I. Data Center Projects
-- Scranton Times: Citizens Cross-Examine Archbald Natural Gas Power Plant Developer Over Lack Of Specifics
-- The Pocono Review: Archbald Borough’s A.I. Data Center Land Grab: What The Borough Kept Quiet
-- Scranton Times: Hearing On 3 Proposed Natural Gas Power Plants To Feed A.I. Data Centers Postponed In Dickson City Due To Missing Environmental Assessment
-- Scranton Times - Chris Kelly Opinion: ‘Lucky’ Archbald Boro Receives Unsolicited Proposal From 7th Data Center Speculator From New York [Apparently Being ‘Blessed’ With 51 Proposed Data Center Buildings Wasn’t Enough]
-- Scranton Times - Chris Kelly Opinion: Scranton Mayor, Congressional Candidate Calls On All 7 Speculators Proposing A.I. Data Centers In Archbald To Withdraw Proposals, Locate Them In Areas That Won’t Ruin Neighborhoods, Schools, Parks
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Salem Township Supervisors OK Plan To Surrender Streets To A.I. Data Center Project, Tabled Moratorium For Data Centers
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Lehman Township Adopts A.I. Data Center Regulations, Met With Positive Reception At Hearing
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Slocum Township Adopts Zoning Amendment To Regulate Future A.I. Data Centers
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Salem Twp. Planning Commission OKs A.I. Data Center Overlay Expansion To Allow 3rd Data Center Supported By Landowners Who Will Get A Combined $1.2 Billion In A Deal With An Unknown Data Center Company
-- Morning Call: Lower Mount Bethel Township Officials Signed Confidentiality Agreements With Talen Energy On A.I. Data Center Development, Records Show
-- Morning Call: Lower Mount Bethel Township Fights To Preserve Its Farms, River From The A.I. Data Center Boom In Northampton County
-- Reading Eagle: City Of Reading Declares Zoning Ordinance Deficient To Work On A.I. Data Center Regulations
-- Bucks County Herald: West Rockhill Township Passes 2nd Version Of A.I. Data Center Rules Subject To Further Amendments
-- Republican Herald: Schuylkill County Commissioners Hear Public Concerns About Butler Twp. A.I. Data Center Proposal, Renewal Of Natural Soil Products Biosolids Site
-- Williamsport Sun: Muncy Twp. To Challenge A.I. Data Center Developer On His Assumption His Project Was ‘Deemed Approved’ Due To Inaction By The Township In Lycoming County
-- Williamsport Sun: A.I. Data Center Talks Dominate Lycoming County Planning Commission Meeting
-- The Daily Item: A.I. Data Center Proposal Faces Hours Of Testimony, Public Scrutiny In Gregg Twp., Union County
-- TheDerrick.com: Scrubgrass Township Supervisors Approve Ordinance Regulating A.I. Data Centers, But Supervisors Had Not Yet Addressed Comments On The Ordinance And Residents Asked How To Amend It [Venango County]
-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: PA Environmental Groups Turn To Crowdfunding To Challenge 3,200 Acre Homer City A.I. Data Center Project In Indiana County
-- Observer- Reporter: Springhill Township Introduces Ordinance To Regulate A.I. Data Centers In Fayette County
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: A.I. Data Center Developers Are Offering Communities, Individuals For Project Approvals; It’s Not A Silver Bullet [PA Highlighted]
-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map
Impacts
Public Participation/Meetings
-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Public Can Weigh In On Three Mile Island Nuclear Data Center Power Plant Restart During July 28 NRC Meeting
-- Scranton Times: Archbald, Dickson City, Throop Boro To Hold Hearings This Week On A.I. Data Center Projects
-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA
A.I. Policy
-- Wall Street Journal: A.I. Chatbots Know How To Make Deadly Biological Weapons, Some Will Teach You
-- The Economist: Why The OpenAI Escape Is The Most Worrying A.I. Mishap Yet; Containing This Technology Is Getting Harder
[Posted: July 26, 2026] PA Environment Digest

No comments :
Post a Comment