Saturday, September 12, 2026

In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - September 14

Here are Articles and NewsClips on A.I. and data center issues from last week you may have missed--


Energy Costs

-- PUC Launches Review Of Utility Ratemaking, Working Group To Address Affordability, Transparency And Changing Economic Conditions  [PaEN]

-- WHYY - Susan Phillips: PA Public Utility Commission To Review How Utility Profits, Data Centers Affect Affordability Issues 

Grid

-- PUC Moves To Address A.I. Data Center Impacts On Emergency Load Control Procedures, Allocation Of Costs Associated With Large Loads; Technical Conference On Cost Responsibility To Be Held  [PaEN] 

-- PJM Interconnection Proposes Changes To Reliability Standards To Address Situations Where A.I. Data Centers Disconnect From The Grid Without Warning And Threaten Grid Stability  [PaEN] 

Generation

-- Shell Energy North America Buys 169 MW Hunlock Creek Natural Gas Power Plant In Hunlock Twp., Luzerne County [Power Plant Expressed Interest In Data Center Development In April]

-- Williamsport Sun - Salena Zito: President’s Natural Gas Data Center Power Plant Coming To Fayette County  [PDF of Article]

-- Bloomberg: PA A.I. Data Center Limits Are Threat To Natural Gas Firms, PA Marcellus Shale Gas Coalition Says  [PDF of Article

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order On Data Centers Hasn’t Slowed Momentum Of Developers Looking To Build Big In PA Communities   

-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: Energy Bills Driven By A.I. Data Centers Threaten PA Small Businesses, Report Says

-- PennLive: PUC: A.I. Data Center Demand Will Increase Industrial Power Use 18.56%; 10% Jump In Residential Electricity Costs Driven By Natural Gas Cost Increases 

Land Use

-- Scranton Times: Wildcat Ridge A.I. Data Center Developer Wants All Elected Archbald Boro Council Members Removed From Data Center Decision-Making Process, Which Leads To Automatic Approval Of The Proposal; 9th Hearing Set For Today [Sept. 9]    [PDF of Article]    

-- WVIA: Archbald Boro Council Members Decide Against Recusal, Listen To Final Testimony On Wildcat Ridge A.I. Data Center Proposal 

-- Scranton Times: Archbald Boro Council Has 45 Days To Decide The Fate Of Wildcat Ridge A.I. Data Center Proposal In Lackawanna County [Just Some Of 51 Data Centers Proposed In The Boro]

-- Scranton Times: Lackawanna County Receives 3 Proposals For A.I. Data Center Health Study 

-- Scranton Times: Civic Group, Residents Voice Concerns About Old Forge Mine Discharge 200MW Hydroelectric Plant To Provide Energy To Data Center Project In Lackawanna County 

-- Scranton Times Chris Kelly Opinion: Sunday Meeting On Old Forge Pump-Storage Hydroelectric Project Proves Information Is The Best Weapon

-- Scranton Times: Public Weighs In On Ransom Twp. A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Lackawanna County 

-- Morning Call: A.I. Data Center Developers Present Updated Plans For Emmaus Ave. Project In Allentown, But Final Approval On Hold Pending Legal Challenge To Project

-- WNEP: Clinton Twp. Supervisors Vote ‘No’ On 20 Building A.I. Data Center Complex In Wayne County

-- PennLive - John Beauge: Union County A.I. Data Center Developer Says It Will Invest $4 Million In The Community 

-- Altoona Mirror: Taylor Twp. Supervisors Quizzed On Proposed Terawatt A.I. Data Center At Former Mill Site In Blair County  [PDF of Article]

-- PennLive: Texas A.I. Data Center Developer Pitches First Of Two Data Center Proposals In Swatara Twp., Dauphin County: One Off Highland Ave. At Rt. 283, 2nd At The Dauphin Highlands Golf Course

-- TheDerrick.com: NY-based KEEL Infrastructure Data Center Developer [Formerly Bitfarms, Owner Of Scrubgrass Coal Waste-fired Power Plant] To Hold Public Presentations On Proposed Data Center At Power Plant On Sept. 22 & 23 In Clintonville, Venango County

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Shippingport Boro To Vote On $10 Billion Data Center Project Today [Sept. 8] In Beaver County 

-- Post-Gazette: Massive Aligned A.I. Data Center Complex Breaks Ground At Former Coal Power Plant Site In Beaver County

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Aligned Breaks Ground For $10 Billion A.I. Data Center On Former Bruce Mansfield Power Plant Site In Shippingport, Beaver County 

-- Indiana Gazette: Homer City A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Complex Again Center Of Discussion; Amazon Presents 300-Page Plan For 39 Data Centers At Meeting  [PDF of Article]

-- Pittsburgh Public Source: Upper Burrell Twp. Residents Decry Transparency As TECfusions A.I. Data Center Progresses Despite Moratorium And A Lawsuit In Westmoreland County

-- Observer-Reporter: $13 Billion Data Center Power Plant Complex Proposed By NextEra In Luzerne Twp., Fayette County

-- Observer-Reporter: Springhill Twp. Postpones Votes On A.I. Data Center, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Ordinances To Sept. 17 In Fayette County

-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map

Impacts

-- WTAE: Homer City Data Center Power Plant Worker Says He Was Fired After 100-Worker Walkout Over Contract Dispute In Indiana County

-- TribLive: Local Businesses Brace For Loss Of Business From Moving Gigantic Cargo To Homer City Data Center/ Power Plant Complex In Indiana County

Public Participation/Meetings

-- DEP To Hold Oct. 14 Meeting/Hearing On Major Amendment To Water Quality Permit For Homer City Data Center/Power Plant Complex In Indiana County; Stormwater Permit Issued  [PaEN] 

-- Indiana Gazette: Homer City A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Complex Again Center Of Discussion; Amazon Presents 300-Page Plan For 39 Data Centers At Meeting  [PDF of Article]

-- TheDerrick.com: NY-based KEEL Infrastructure Data Center Developer [Formerly Bitfarms, Owner Of Scrubgrass Coal Waste-fired Power Plant] To Hold Public Presentations On Proposed Data Center At Power Plant On Sept. 22 & 23 In Clintonville, Venango County

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Hanover Twp., Washington County To Hold 4 Hearings On Proposed Starpointe A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Complex On Sept. 21, 24, 29, 30 

-- Morning Call: Here Are The Terms You Need To Follow The A.I. Data Center Sustainability Debate 

-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA

Politics

-- ABC27: PA Building Trades Union Leader Supports Construction Of A.I. Data Centers, But Wants Them Built ‘Responsibility’

-- KYW: PA Republican Congressman Rob Bresnahan Campaigns On A.I. Data Center Limits While Investing In Industry

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Public A.I. Data Center Support Has Collapsed; Here’s What Happens Next

-- Wall Street Journal Column: Upset About A.I. Data Centers? Big Tech And The President Think You’re A Socialist Dupe 

-- Wall Street Journal: States That Gave A.I. Data Centers Billions In Tax Breaks Are Now Ripping Up The Deals 

A.I. Policies

-- TribLive: Allegheny County Council Proposes Bill Regulating A.I. Use In Political Campaign Materials

-- Yahoo!/AXIOS: Anthropic [Claude] Insiders Warn A.I. Could Kill All Humans 

-- Wall Street Journal: Cyberattack By Rogue A.I. Swarm Stokes Fears Of Out-Of-Control Agents

-- Wall Street Journal: Congress Is Suddenly Waking Up To The A.I. Doomsday Threat

[Posted: September 12, 2026]  PA Environment Digest

No comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe To Receive Updates:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner