Monday, July 8, 2019

Interns: Michael Gallagher, BioMost, Inc. Working On Mine Drainage Treatment

I am Michael Gallagher, and I am the new intern at [the nonprofit] BioMost, Inc. After finishing my first year studying environmental engineering and mathematics at Saint Francis University, Dr. Joel Bandstra recommended I spend my summer as an intern at BioMost. 
This experience offers me the chance to gain knowledge of the practical side of implementing acid mine drainage treatment, which can be hard to simulate in the classroom. 
The practical side enables me to learn solutions to different scenarios that may arise when implementing a treatment system. Additionally, seeing the sites in person allows me to gain a greater understanding of how to make treatment systems work at the finest quality.
The reason I’m spending my summer learning about acid mine drainage is to become a better environmental engineer when I graduate. 
I gained a passion to become an environmental engineer from my time spent in the outdoors fishing, running, and camping. 
Also, I pursued environmental based merit badges during my time in Boy Scouts; then, I naturally started taking more science in math courses in high school. 
I figured I would combine my enjoyment of spending time outside with the information I was learning, so I could make an effort to better the environment for people.
The internship at BioMost offers the unique opportunity of bettering the environment and learning engineering simultaneously. 
The work BioMost does is very important for keeping our water clean in the area, and I was surprised to learn how close some of the sites were to where I lived. This aspect introduces the element of continuing treatment in order to better the area I live in. 
The internship provides me with great experience, good work, and further knowledge of acid mine drainage.
I am very thankful for this opportunity, and this is a great way to spend my summer. 
Visit the BioMost, Inc. website to learn more about the services they offer.
(Reprinted from the Slippery Rock Watershed Coalition July Catalyst newsletterClick Here to sign up for your own copy.)
Intern Stories Wanted!
Related Articles:
Related Articles This Week:
Buck Neely, Stream Restoration, Inc., Recognized At 2019 American Society Of Mining And Reclamation Conference

No comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe To Receive Updates:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner