Saturday, September 5, 2026

In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - September 7

Here are Articles and NewsClips on A.I. and data center issues from last week you may have missed--


Energy Costs

-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: Energy Bills Driven By A.I. Data Centers Threaten PA Small Businesses, Report Says

-- Independent Fiscal Office Reports 2nd Quarter PA Natural Gas Production Declines Slightly Again; Price Of Natural Gas For Residential Customers Increased By 7.3% From Prior Year  [PaEN] 

-- FirstEnergy Utilities Foundation Awards $1.2 Million In Grants To 37 PA Food Banks To Provide 3.6 Million Meals

Governor’s Executive Order

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order On Data Centers Hasn’t Slowed Momentum Of Developers Looking To Build Big In PA Communities  

-- New York Times: Pennsylvania A.I. Gold Rush Meets 2nd Thoughts; Amid Backlash Gov. Shapiro Is Pumping The Brakes On Enormous Data Centers; But Some Welcome Billions In Construction   

-- The Conversation: Data Center Projects In Pennsylvania Face Stronger Local Scrutiny After Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order - By Michael Helbing, Adjunct Professor of Law, Penn State University

-- CNBC: PA Gov. Shapiro Says Too Many A.I. Data Center Developers ‘Don’t Care About Our Communities’

-- PA Environmental Council In Case You Missed It In August: Executive Action On A.I. Data Centers; Interview With Franklin Kury; Ride With PEC; Mini Grant Opportunity; Outdoors For All   [PaEN] 

Legislation

-- PennLive: Some PA Lawmakers Regret $1.8 Billion State Tax Break For A.I. Data Centers - So Why Won’t They Kill It?

-- Morning Call Guest Essay: Pennsylvania Needs A Mandatory A.I. Data Center Moratorium - By Deena Stoudt, Food & Water Watch;  Gillian Wenhold, Lehigh Valley Stands Up; and Michael Friend, Lehigh Valley Democratic Socialists of America

-- PA Capital-Star: Bipartisan Legislative Proposals Would Limit Use Of Flock License Reading Cameras In PA

Grid

-- PA Public Utility Commission Forecasts Data Center-Driven Industrial Electricity Use In Pennsylvania Will Increase 18.56% A Year Thru 2030; Up From 0.22% Annually In 2024  [PaEN]

-- Scranton Times: PUC Data Centers To Cause Nearly 19%-A-Year Jump In Electric Demand Over 5 Years

-- Morning Call: PPL Electric Investing In Grid Technology To Help Keep The Lights On As Demand Rises; Here’s A Look Inside

-- PJM Interconnection Extends Hot Weather Alert To Sept. 4; Order Still In Place To Require Data Centers, Large Loads  To Go To Backup Generation, If Needed  [PaEN]

-- PJM Interconnection Extends Maximum Generation Alert, Load Management Alert To Sept. 3; Order In Place To Require Data Centers, Large Loads  To Go To Backup Generation If Needed  [PaEN] 

-- PJM Interconnection Extends Maximum Generation Alert, Load Management Alert To Sept. 2; Requested, Received DOE Approval To Require Data Centers, Large Loads  To Go To Backup Generation If Needed   [PaEN] 

-- The Guardian: Blackout Risk Rises As Heatwave Stresses PJM Electric Grid; DOE Approves Emergency Order

-- PJM Interconnection Issues Maximum General Alert, Load Management Alert For Sept. 1  [PaEN] 

-- PJM Interconnection Electric Grid Operator Issues Hot Weather Alert For Aug. 31 to Sept. 2 For Its Entire Region - 8th This Summer  [PaEN] 

-- Inside Climate News: Maryland Consumer Advocate Challenges PJM Backstop Power Auction Plan Says It Will Expose Customers To $562 Million In Long-Term Costs 

-- Reuters: Texas’ Halt On Powering A.I. Data Centers Reflects US Reckoning Over ‘Ghost’ Power Demands And Impacts On Electricity Markets [PJM Included]

Generation

-- PennLive Letter: Research Shows Pennsylvania Needs To Diversify Its Electricity Generation Mix - David Gahl, Solar & Energy Storage Industries Institute 

-- PennLive/Tribune News: Massive 7,200 Acre PPL Utilities Joint Venture Land Deal In Lackawanna County Paves Way For More Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants

-- Scranton Times: PPL Utilities Joint Venture Purchases 500 Acres In Luzerne County For 2 Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants; No Agreements Signed With Customers Yet [Not For The Public]  

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: NextEra Energy Picks 700 Acre Site In Luzerne Twp.,  Fayette County For 3.75 GW Natural Gas Data Center Power Plant Complex  [Entire Township Over Known Mined Out Coal Mines Subject To Subsidence Risk (DEP)]

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: NextEra’s $13 Billion Natural Gas Data Center Power Plant Complex In Luzerne Twp., Fayette County To Be A Game Changer For Region 

-- TribLive: Oversized Equipment Deliveries To Homer City A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Site In Indiana County To Bring Rolling Closures To Heavily Traveled Routes In Armstrong, Westmoreland Counties From An Allegheny River Terminal 

Land Use

-- The Center Square: Nearly Half Of Pennsylvania’s ‘Fast Track’ A.I. Data Center Municipalities Signed Nondisclosure Agreements

-- Scranton Times: Lackawanna County To Seek Proposals For A.I. Data Center Emergency Response Assessment

-- Scranton Times: Mid Valley School District To Measure Sound Before A.I. Data Centers Arrive In Lackawanna County 

-- Scranton Times: Valley View School District To Designate Member For A.I. Data Center , Power Plant Opposition At Meeting Today [Sept. 2], Litigation Pending Against Proposals

-- Scranton Times: Ransom Twp. Looks To Adopt Protections To Get Ahead Of Future A.I. Data Centers In Lackawanna County

-- The Center Square: Salem Twp. Planning Commission Vote To Approve A.I. Data Center Zoning Expansion Violates County Court Order In Luzerne County

-- The Center Square: After Sunshine Act Violation, Salem Twp., Luzerne County Plans Third Try At Vote On A.I. Data Center Zoning Expansion, After Approving It Twice Before 

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Bear Creek Twp. Supervisors Won’t Expand Zoning By 700% For Data Center; 2 Smaller Proposals Remain On Table, Luzerne County  

-- The Citizens’ Voice: One Data Center Zoning Change Rejected, Bear Creek Twp. Officials Now Considering 2 Others In Luzerne County

-- The Citizens’ Voice: A.I. Data Center Developer Appeals Dorrance Twp. Rejection In Luzerne County 

-- Wilkes-Barre Times Leader: Dallas Twp. Creates A.I. Data Center Advisory Committee To Recommend Changes To Regulations In Luzerne County

-- Morning Call: Are A.I. Data Centers Similar To Manufacturing? Allentown Zoners To Decide In Challenge To Emmaus Ave. Proposal By Nonprofit Group Providing Services To Chronically And Terminally Ill Children 

-- Morning Call: Allentown Postpones Zoning Meeting On Emmaus Avenue A.I. Data Center Proposal By Developer, Nonprofit Group Challenging Zoning

-- Morning Call: Empty Warehouse In Allen Twp. Could Soon Become A.I. Data Center In Northampton County

-- Morning Call: A.I. Data Center Developers Tout Economic Benefits, How Much Could They Affect Lehigh Valley Economy?

-- The Center Square: Upper Mount Bethel Twp., Northampton County Is Uncertain Of Its Authority Over Data Center Plans

-- Republican Herald: For Now, New Castle Twp. Zoning Ordinance Has Kept A.I. Data Center Development At Bay In Schuylkill County 

-- Republican Herald: Butler Township Approves Zoning Changes To Allow Expansion Of ‘Immense’ A.I. Data Center Proposal Over Objections Of Residents In Schuylkill County

-- Pottstown Mercury: Limerick Twp., Montgomery County Supervisor Abruptly Resigns Amid Consideration Of A.I. Data Center Proposal 

-- PennLive Guest Essay: When Farmland Disappears, So Does A Way Of Life [Data Centers] - By Sam Burleigh, Anthony Twp., Montour County

-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Middlesex Twp. Supervisors Voted 2-0 To Give Key Approvals To First Of 3 A.I. Data Center Campuses In Cumberland County; Opponents Turn To Court

-- WITF: Middlesex Twp. Approves First Phase Of Controversial A.I. Data Center Project In Cumberland County

-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: A.I. Data Center Developer Promises Millions In Bid For Community Support In Middlesex Twp., Cumberland County

-- Inside Climate News: Will An A.I. Data Center Join Former Philadelphia Refinery Bellwether District’s Mix Of Manufacturers And Warehouses? 

-- Indiana Gazette: Center, Burell, Black Lick Townships Seek Community Benefits Agreement With The Homer City A.I. Data Center Campus Power Plants 

-- Post-Gazette: Homer City A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Complex In Indiana County Fueled By 1,800 contractors And Tradespeople

-- Observer-Reporter: Starpointe A.I. Data Center Developer Expected To Detail Project During Hearing  Monday [Aug. 31] In Hanover Twp. Washington County 

-- Observer-Report: A.I. Data Center Developer Details Expansive Starpointe Data Center, Natural Gas Power Plant Proposal In Hanover Twp., Washington County

-- WPXI: Hearing Over Plans To Build Data Center, Natural Gas Power Plant In Hanover Twp., Washington County Draws Packed Crowd 

-- WTAE: More Than 100 Pack Hanover Twp., Washington County Meeting As Residents Clash Over A.I. Data Center Project

-- TribLive: A.I. Data Center Concerns Grow In Upper Burrell Twp As Moratorium End Looms In Westmoreland County

-- TribLive: Murrysville Delays A.I. Data Center Ordinance Following Resident Concerns It Wasn’t Strong Enough In Westmoreland County

-- TribLive: Protect PT, Residents File Appeal Against Upper Burrell Twp. Over TECfusions Data Center Approval In Westmoreland County

-- KDKA: Penn Township Residents Raise Concerns Proposed Zoning Changes Will Allow A.I. Data Centers In Westmoreland County

-- TribLive: Ligonier Twp. Adopts Data Center Rules With Revisions Planned In Westmoreland County 

-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map

Public Participation/Meetings

-- Scranton Times: Sunday [Sept. 6] Forum Against Old Forge Borehole Mine Discharge Hydroelectric Project On Land Also Eyed For A.I. Data Center Projects In Lackawanna County   

-- Local Organizations To Host Sept. 10 Town Hall Meeting On A.I. Data Centers In Fayette County, And Online  [PaEN]

-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA

-- AP: EPA Proposal Could Leave The Public In The Dark On A.I. Data Center, Power Plant Plants

Politics

-- Morning Call: Here’s Where Lehigh Valley Legislators Stand On A.I. Data Center Regulation As Lawmakers Prepare To Return To Session 

-- LancasterOnline: How Will Data Centers Issues Impact Lancaster County’s State Senate Race?

-- TribLive Guest Essay: PA MAGA Country Doesn’t Want President’s A.I. Data Center ‘Golden Goose’ - By Oliver Bateman, Pittsburgh Historian

-- Inquirer: PA US Sen. Fetterman Backs President On A.I. Data Centers, Blames China For ‘Misinformation” On A.I. 

-- Scranton Times Chris Kelly Opinion: President Pumps Up A.I. Data Center Resistance

-- Bloomberg: President Says ‘Let Data [Centers] Reign’ In Response To A.I. Data Center Blowback [Communities Not Wanting Data Centers ‘Want To End Up Being Backwards And Poor’] 

-- Financial Times - Bethlehem, PA Project: Pennsylvania Voters Unite Against A.I. Data Centers: ‘People Are Going To Get Screwed’    [PDF of Article

-- The Economist: How A.I. Data Centers Became One Of America’s Hottest Political Issues [PA Included]

-- Washington Post: How The A.I. Data Center Backlash Is Growing In US Statehouses [PA Included]

[Posted: September 6, 2026]  PA Environment Digest

No comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe To Receive Updates:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner