Governor’s Executive Order
-- Gov. Shapiro Signs Executive Order Requiring A.I. Data Center Developers To Sign Consent Order Binding Them To Comply With GRID Principals, Including Clean Energy; DEP Will Not Review Permits Until Communities Give Their Approval [PaEN]
-- TheDerrick.com: Gov. Shapiro Invites Public To Provide Information To State On A.I. Data Center Development In Their Communities Thru New Webpage [PaEN]
-- Spotlight PA: What Shapiro’s New Data Center Order Does And Doesn’t Force Developers To Do
-- PennLive- Charles Thompson: Shapiro, Feeling Heat Of Election Year Controversy, Toughens PA’s Data Center Rules
-- TribLive/PennLive: Gov. Shapiro, Feeling Heat Of Election Year Controversy, Toughens PA’s Data Center Rules
-- Post-Gazette/PennLive: Gov. Shapiro, Feeling Heat Of Election Year Controversy, Toughens PA’s Data Center Rules
-- Scranton Times/PennLive: Gov. Shapiro, Feeling Heat Of Election Year Controversy, Toughens PA’s Data Center Rules
-- Spotlight PA/AP: Gov. Shapiro Puts Conditions On Fast-Track Perks For Data Centers Amid Community Backlash
-- Spotlight PA: Data Center Developers Pushing PA Government Officials To Sign Secrecy Agreements, At Least Some Are Saying Yes
-- The Center Square: Shapiro Reverses Course On Data Center Industry He Once Embraced
-- PA Capital-Star: Gov. Shapiro Signs Data Center Executive Order, Critics Say It Falls Short
-- WHYY - Susan Phillips: Gov. Shapiro Signs Wide-Ranging Executive Order Reining In Data Center Development
-- WITF: Shapiro Imposes New Restrictions On Data Center Development In PA
-- Tribune-Democrat: Shapiro Signs Order To Tighten Oversight Of Data Center Developments
-- Observer-Reporter/AP: Shapiro Signs Executive Order Limiting Data Center Development
-- Inquirer: In A Major Shift, Gov. Shapiro Restricts Data Center Development In PA
-- Morning Call/Inquirer: Gov. Shapiro Signs Executive Order Restricting Data Center Development In PA
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Gov. Shapiro Signs Executive Order On PA Data Centers
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: How Shapiro’s New Rules Will Impact Local Data Centers
-- Washington Post: PA Will Sharply Limit Data Center Development, Expand Review Process
-- Reuters: PA Governor Signs Order Imposing New Rules To Set Up A.I. Data Centers In State
-- Bloomberg: PA Gov. Shapiro To Limit New Data Centers
-- Wall Street Journal: PA Becomes Latest State To Restrict Data Center Construction
-- Utility Dive: PA Executive Order Dangles Permitting Carrot For Data Centers That Bring Their Own Power
-- MSN: Pennsylvania’s New Data Center Rules Aren’t All Bad For Power Companies
-- AP: Governor’s Races Being Increasingly Buffeted By The Politics Of Data Centers [PA Included]
Reaction - Governor’s Order
-- PennLive: Some Embrace Shapiro’s New Data Center Rules, Others Hate’em
-- Gov. Shapiro: What People Are Saying About Data Center Executive Order
-- Gov. Shapiro: Support Grows For GRID Data Center Executive Order, ‘A Model For The Nation’
-- Concerned Citizens Of Montour County Comments On Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order [Facebook]
-- Scranton Times: Lackawanna County Commissioner: Local Data Center Fight Must Continue Despite Governor’s Executive Order
-- Scranton Times: NE PA Data Center Backers, Opponents Weigh Shapiro’s New Rules
-- TribLive: People, Developers In Western PA React To Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order On Data Centers
-- Indiana Gazette: Opponents Of Homer City A.I. Data Center Says Shapiro ‘Did Not Go As Far’ As He Needed To Go With Data Center Executive Order
-- The Center Square: Shapiro Sides With Public On A.I. Data Centers; Some Say He Is Late
-- TribLive Guest Essay: Responsible [Data Center] Growth Starts With The Fundamentals - By John Hawkins, President, FirstEnergy Pennsylvania
-- TribLive Guest Essay: Shapiro’s Approach To Data Centers Is A Model For Nation - By Austin Sarat, Amherst College
-- Wall Street Journal Guest Essay: PA Gov. Josh Shapiro Finds The Sensible Middle On A.I. Data Centers - By Former PA Congressman Patrick Murphy
-- Kleinman Center For Energy Policy Blog: Gov. Shapiro’s Executive Order Puts Some Guardrails On A.I. Data Center Development, But Portions Of It Could Be Legally Challenged - By John Quigley, Senior Fellow
-- Inquirer Editorial: Shapiro Deserves Kudos For A.I. Data Center Regulation Efforts, But He Can’t Do It Alone
Energy Costs
-- TribLive: Bill On Hold In PA Senate Could Be Key To Expanding Solar Power In PA, Saving Money On Energy Costs
-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: PA Lawmakers Should Look To Renewable Energy, Not Fossil Fuels For Energy Affordability, Says New Policy Playbook
-- Inside Climate News - Jon Hurdle: Pennsylvania Lags Far Behind On Solar Energy, Here’s How It Could Catch Up
-- WESA - Rachel McDevitt: Gov. Shapiro Wants A.I. Data Centers To Bring Their Own Power, What’s That Mean For Prices And Pollution?
-- NextPittsburgh.com/The Conversation: Just Because The Bill Is Low Doesn’t Mean Energy Is Affordable - By Destenie Nock,Associate Professor Of Engineering & Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University
-- Reuters: PJM Grid Electric Transmission Constraint Costs Surge To $6 Billion In 2026
-- Natural Resources Defense Council: How The President’s Policies Are Hiking Electric Bills, Destroying Investments
Generation
-- Scranton Times: Norwegian Company To Spend $940 Million On Stake In 1,485 MW Lackawanna Energy Center Natural Gas Plant In Jessup Based On A.I. Data Center Demands [Not For The Public]
-- PJM Interconnection Announces New 5-Year Strategy Outline Focusing On Grid Reliability, More Transparency On Energy Costs [PaEN]
Grid
-- PUC Urges Federal Energy Regulatory Commission To Modernize Evaluation of Regional Electricity Transmission Projects [PaEN]
-- Reuters: PJM Grid Electric Transmission Constraint Costs Surge To $6 Billion In 2026
-- Utility Dive: PJM Taking 2nd Look At Connecting New Generation With Surplus, Unused Interconnections Already Approved
-- PJM Interconnection Announces New 5-Year Strategy Outline Focusing On Grid Reliability, More Transparency On Energy Costs [PaEN]
-- PJM Interconnection: Registration Opens For GridAdvance Summit Oct. 15 At PJM Training Center
-- Reuters: President Signs Order Banning Some Foreign Equipment From US Energy Grid
-- Bloomberg: President Moves To Ban Some Foreign Energy Equipment From Grid
-- White House: President Declares National Emergency To Secure America’s Bulk-Power System
Land Use
-- Guest Essay: Abandoned Oil & Gas Wells Pose Hidden Threats To A.I. Data Center Development - A Proposed Site In Washington County Is Just One Example - By Marci Michalski, Burgettstown, Washington County [PaEN]
-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Part Of TECfusions Data Center Campus In Westmoreland County Goes Live
-- Scranton Times Chris Kelly Opinion: 5th Hearing In Archbald On ‘Conceptual’ Plans For 3 Proposed Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants Boils Down To ‘Trust Us,’ Public Response ‘No’
-- Scranton Times: A.I. Data Center, Warehouse Developer Buys More Land In Archbald For Nearly $16.2 Million
-- Scranton Times Chris Kelly Opinion: 2 Of 3 Lackawanna County Commissioners Still Kicking Data Center Can Down The Road On Health Impacts Study
-- The Allegheny Front: How Tiny Archbald Boro Is Handling A Data Center Rush In Lackawanna County
-- Scranton Times: Residents Appeal Throop Boro A.I. Data Center Zoning, Argue it Benefits Private Interests
-- Scranton Times: A.I. Data Center Developer Radically Changes Plans In Covington, Clifton Townships, Lackawanna County
-- Scranton Times: Legal Dispute Between Clifton Twp., A.I. Data Center Developer Clouds Future Of Data Centers
-- Scranton Times: Jessup Boro, A.I. Data Center Developer Headed To County Court Over Electric Infrastructure Connection
-- Scranton Times: Benton Twp. Looks To Adopt Environmentally Conscious A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Lackawanna County
-- Scranton Times: Scranton Mayor Seeks DEP Hearing On PPL Electric Stanton-Summit Transmission Line Upgrade
-- Scranton Times Chris Kelly Opinion: Brownies As A Weapon Against A.I. Data Centers
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Salem Twp. Supervisors To Hold Hearing Wednesday [Aug. 26] On 3rd A.I. Data Center Proposal, Expansion Of Special Overlay District That Could Net Landowners $1.2 Billion In Luzerne County
-- Scranton Times: Citizen Lawsuit Alleges Salem Twp. Planners Illegally Advanced Data Center Plan By Locking Citizens Out Of July 23 Meeting In Luzerne County
-- Wilkes-Barre Times Leader: County Judge Orders Salem Twp. Planning Commission To Hold New A.I. Data Center Hearing After Public Locked Out Of Previous Hearing Due To Overflow Crowd In Luzerne County
-- The Citizens’ Voice: County Judge: Salem Twp. Planning Commission Broke Law, Must Redo A.I. Data Center Hearing In Luzerne County
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Salem Twp. Planning Commission OKs Expansion Of A.I. Data Center Overlay For 2nd Time In Luzerne County To Accommodate 4,466 Acre Development, Now Goes To Supervisors
-- Wilkies-Barre Times Leader: Salem Township Moves One Step Closer To Securing ‘Historic’ $1.4 Billion, 4,000 Acre A.I. Data Center Deal In Luzerne County
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Luzerne County Court Fails To Hear Motion Challenging Salem Twp. Planning Commission Meeting Before 2nd Vote To Approve A.I. Data Center Zoning Expansion
-- The Citizens’ Voice: Salem Twp. Supervisor Prepared To Abstain From A.I. Data Center Zoning Overlay Vote Because He Could Benefit Financially From The Development
-- The Center Square: Residents Continue To Oppose A.I. Data Center Proposal In Lower Mount Bethel Twp., Northampton County Despite Developers Scaling Back The Project
-- Morning Call: What We Know About Plans For An A.I. Data Center In Bethlehem
-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: 2 Story A.I. Data Center Proposed For Vacant Lot In Lehigh County Portion Of Bethlehem
-- Republican Herald: ‘Why Here?’ Tensions, Questions Remain Over Proposed Amazon Data Center In Kline Twp., Schuylkill County
-- Morning Call: How Will Bucks County Amazon Data Center DEP Air Quality Permit Be Affected By Gov. Shapiro’s Order?
-- PennLive/The Mercury: Smaller Data Center Proposed For Coventry Mall In North Coventry Twp., Chester County
-- LancasterOnline: Pequea Township Adds Rules, Restrictions On A.I. Data Center Development In Lancaster County
-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Middlesex Township Supervisor Resigns In Cumberland County Amid A.I. Data Center Controversies, Fierce Public Criticism Of Township; 2 Supervisors Remain; Next Vote Sept. 2
-- Williamsport Sun: Gregg Twp. Suspends A.I. Data Center Proposals For Up To 180 Days To Consider Changes To Zoning Ordinance In Lycoming County
-- Williamsport Sun: Muncy Twp. Planning Commission Formulating A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Lycoming County
-- Williamsport Sun: Hughesville Borough Council Considers A.I. Data Center Zoning Ordinance
-- Altoona Mirror: Blair County Commissioners Say They Have No Easy Answer For Anyone Asking If They Support Or Oppose Data Centers
-- Tribune-Democrat: Hunting Ranch Owner Advertises Land In Quemahoning Twp. As Ideal Site For A.I. Data Center; Somerset County To Consider Regulations
-- TribLive: Some Allegheny County Council Members Move To Prohibit A.I. Data Centers From Using County-Owned Property
-- Post-Gazette: Allegheny County Council Proposes Bill To Ban A.I. Data Centers From Using County Property
-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map
Impacts
Public Participation/Meetings
-- Governor’s Office To Brief DEP Citizens Advisory Council On Governor’s Data Center Executive Order Sept. 1 [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Air Permit For Montour CT Natural Gas Power Plant Expansion In Montour County To Feed Data Centers [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Chapter 105 Permit For PECO Energy Double 230 kV Transmission Line Crossing Of Schuylkill River In Montgomery County To Serve Data Center Projects [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Stormwater Permit For PPL Electric Harwood To Harleigh Substation Transmission Line Project In Luzerne County [PaEN]
-- DEP Invites Comments On Stormwater Permit For PPL Utilities New Breinigsville -Tek Park 138-69 kV Transmission Line Project In Lehigh County To Serve A Data Center Project [PaEN]
-- Scranton Times: Scranton Mayor Seeks DEP Hearing On PPL Electric Stanton-Summit Transmission Line Upgrade
-- DEP Receives Final Act 2 Land Recycling Remediation Report From Archbald Data & Energy Center, LLC For Site In Lackawanna County [PaEN]
-- Washington & Jefferson College Hosts New Horizons - Infrastructure, Energy And Data In The Coming Decade Conference Oct. 20 [PaEN]
-- Wilkes-Barre Times Leader Editorial: There’s No Place For Public Business To Hide Behind Nondisclosure Agreements
-- New York Times: EPA Moves To Curb Public Input On Air Permits For Data Centers, Other Projects
-- TribLive Editorial: Government Has To Let You Speak But Does It Have To Listen?
-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA
Politics
-- City And State PA: A.I. Data Centers Are Dominating Pennsylvania’s Gubernatorial Race
-- Erie Times/USA Today: Shapiro’s Data Center Order Draws Criticism From Garrity
-- PA Capital-Star: Rising Energy, Fuel Costs Cut Into Bottom Line For PA Businesses; Republicans Want To ‘Unleash’ Natural Gas Industry
-- PennLive: Franklin & Marshall College Poll Finds 79% Of PA Voters Oppose An A.I. Data Center In Their Communities
-- Inquirer: New Poll Of PA Likely Voters Finds 62% Oppose A.I. Data Center Construction
-- York County Economic Development Agency Official Calls PA Chamber Of Business & Industry Initiative Urging Opponents Of A.I. Data Centers To Take No Technology Pledge ‘Petty And Embarrassing’ [PaEN]
-- The Center Square: Republican Rep. Doyle Heffley Says Data Center Speculation Targeted By Shapiro Is A ‘Huge Problem’
-- Axios Pittsburgh: Independent Jodi Borello Bets On A.I. Data Center Issue In State Senate Race Against Incumbent Republican In Washington County
-- The Center Square: Battleground PA Congressional Candidates Weigh In On Shapiro’s Data Center Executive Order
-- TribLive: PA US Senator Fetterman Pushes Back On ‘Political Pandering’ On A.I. Data Centers, Reiterates His Support
-- Spotlight PA: A.I. Data Centers Are ‘Redefining’ Midterm Election Races Across Pennsylvania
-- AP: In A Divided America, The Left And Right Unite To Oppose A.I. Data Centers [PA Included]
-- Washington Post: See The Moment When Republican Politicians Turned Against A.I. Data Centers
-- AP: President Keeps Embracing A.I. Data Centers Even As They Become Toxic In Midterm Election Races
-- New York Times: The A.I. Data Center Backlash Bursts Into The Midterm Elections
A.I. Policy
-- NextPittsburgh: Official A.I. Use Policies At Western PA Universities Are To Be Determined
-- Attorney General Sunday Announces Settlement With Meta [Facebook] That Could Yield Up To $729 Million For PA In Coming Years
-- Attorney General Sunday Announces Lawsuit Against Snapchat For Failures To Protect Children From Compulsive Use
-- Wall Street Journal: Three Takeaways From Bill Gates’ Warning On A.I.: ‘There Is No Plan’ To Prepare For Likely Harms To Employment, Safety And Well-Being
-- Bill Gates: The Turbulent A.I. Era Is Here, The Choices We Make Now Are Critical
[Posted: August 30, 2026] PA Environment Digest

No comments :
Post a Comment