Saturday, October 3, 2026

In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - October 5

Here are Articles and NewsClips on A.I. and data center issues from last week you may have missed--


Energy Costs

-- WTAE: Heating Oil Costs Projected To Jump Nearly $900 This Winter

-- ABC6/Philadelphia: Heating Costs Expect To Rise Sharply This Winter, With Home Heating Oil Seeing Biggest Increase 

-- PUC Approves UGI Gas Rate Increase Of 5.7%; Increase In Monthly Residential Customer Care From $16.25 to $20; Add A Weather Normalization Surcharge Pilot Program  [PaEN]

-- Morning Call: Settlement Reduces UGI Gas Rate Increase, Spreads Out Impact To Customer Bills

-- AP: US Households Will Pay More For Energy Because Of President’s Policy Changes, Nonpartisan Think Tank Says [What President’s Policies Cost Pennsylvanians ]

Legislation

-- PA Capital-Star: PA House Committee Passes Proposals On A.I. Data Center Costs, Utility Company Profits Intended To Keep Electricity Bills Lower

-- The Center Square: PA House Committee Backs Bill To Spare Communities From ‘Fake’ Data Center Proposals

-- Tribune-Democrat: PA House Acts On A.I. In Health Care, Urges Feds To Let States Regulate A.I.

-- Tribune-Democrat: PA Lawmakers Advance Ban On Data Center Nondisclosure Agreements [Senate], Prohibit Public Utility Status [House]

-- The Center Square: PA Senate Committee Backs Ban On Governments Signing Data Center Nondisclosure Agreements

-- PA Capital-Star: PA Senate Republican Leader Makes No Commitment On Moving Data Center Legislation, Weighs In On Midterm Elections, Reforming Unconstitutional Felony Murder Convictions, Skill Grams, Gift Ban 

-- Utility Dive: US Senate Permitting Bill Gives FERC Authority To Issue Permits For Electric Transmission Projects; Reduces Authority Of States For Section 401 Water Quality Permitting For Gas Pipelines 

-- Inside Climate News: Long-Awaited US Senate Deal To Speed Energy Facility Permitting Faces Familiar Hurdles

-- TribLive/AP: Data Center Bill Falls Short In US Senate As Lawmakers Take Final Votes Before Midterm Elections

Grid

-- PUC To Seek Comments On Regulations To Give Electric Utilities New Tools To Manage Data Centers During Periods Of Strained Electricity Supplies And Curtailments To Maintain Grid Reliability  [PaEN]

-- Sen. Yaw Urges PJM To Start Approving Connections For New Electric Generation Quickly  To Make Sure There Is Enough Power For A.I. Data Centers Driving Demand

-- PennLive Guest Essay: Pennsylvania Has The Energy And The Workers - Now It Needs The Electric Grid - By Terrance J. Fitzpatrick, Former Chair Of The PA Public Utility Commission

Generation

-- PUC Holds Oct. 7 Meeting To Hear Presentation On Recommendations For Grid Modernization To Develop New Electric Generation At 21 Deactivated Energy Sites To Support Large Loads  [PaEN]

-- Scranton Times: PPL Joint Venture Invitium Energy Could Acquire More Than A Quarter Of Fell Twp. For Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants In Lackawanna County 

-- TheDerrick.com: DEP Issues Violations To KEEL Infrastructure For Failing To Remove Coal Ash Pile At Scrubgrass Coal Waste-Fired Data Center Power Plant In Venango County 

-- TribLive: West Deer Township Residents Grapple With KEEL Infrastructure Digital Mining Scrubgrass Coal Waste-Fired Power Plant Pollution And Erratic Coal Trucks In Allegheny County

-- Utility Dive: PJM Delays Backstop Power Supply Auction After FERC Decides To Approve Only Part Of PJM’s Plan Tuesday; FERC Chair Slams PJM ‘Mess’ 

Land Use

-- Scranton Times: Archbald Boro To Hear More Information On 7 Data Centers, Natural Gas Power Plant In Lackawanna County

-- Scranton Times: Essential Energy, Stop Archbald A.I. Data Centers Continue Debate Over Proposed Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader: Standing Room Only Crowd Gathered Sunday To Discuss 15 Proposed Data Centers, 3 Natural Gas Power Plants Issued Zoning Approvals In Newport Twp., Luzerne County

-- Standard Speaker: Newport Twp. Residents Hold Meeting On 15 Proposed A.I. Data Centers, 3 Natural Gas Power Plants In Luzerne County 

-- Wall Street Journal: Every Household In Hazle Twp., Luzerne County Receives $10,000 If An A.I. Data Center Gets Built; Residents Pushing Back Despite Lure Of Cash

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Sugarloaf Twp. Supervisors Table Resolution To Write New Rules For A.I. Data Centers After Residents Ask If It Would Hurt Their Active Legal Case Involving A Challenge By A Data Center Developer

-- The Citizens’ Voice: Bear Creek Twp. May Restrict A.I. Data Centers To Current Industrial Zone In Luzerne County

-- TheDerrick.com: Data Center Developer KEEL Infrastructure VP Tries To Quell Concerns About Data Center Plans In Venango County

-- Williamsport Sun: Appeal Filed In Commonwealth Court Against ‘Deemed Approval’ Of Data Center Proposal In Muncy Township, Lycoming County

-- Altoona Mirror: Taylor Township Plans Oct. 8 Hearing On Proposed A.I. Data Center In Blair County

-- Altoona Mirror: Antis Township Plans A.I. Data Center Ordinance In Blair County

-- WITF: Central PA Residents At Cumberland County Forum Raise Concerns About Growing A.I. Data Center Development

-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Data Center Foes In Middlesex Twp. Ask Court To Halt Site Work While Appeal Plays Out In Cumberland County

-- LancasterOnline: More Lancaster County Municipalities Adding Rules Regulating Data Centers 

-- Republican Herald: Kline Twp. Planning Commission In Schuylkill County Approves Amazon Data Center Plans With Conditions Over Public Objections; Twp. Supervisors To Vote On Plans Wednesday [Sept. 30]

-- WNEP: Kline Township Supervisors Vote To Approve Amazon Data Center Project In Schuylkill County; Residents Want More Restrictions

-- Morning Call Guest Essay:  Open Space Preservation Will Stop A.I. Data Centers In Lehigh County And So Much More - By Lamont McClure, Former Northampton County Executive

-- Post-Gazette: Forward Twp., Butler County Residents To Developers: No A.I. Data Centers 

-- TribLive: Springdale Boro Oversteps In Restricting Media, Public During Meetings, Legal Experts Say In Allegheny County 

-- Observer-Reporter: Developers Of Starpointe A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Proposal In Hanover Twp. May Need To Further Investigate Abandoned Conventional Oil & Gas Wells On The Site In Washington County 

-- PennLive/LehighValleyLive: Amazon Behind 3,200 Homer Center A.I. Data Center/Power Plant Complex In Indiana County

-- The Allegheny Front: In Upper Burrell Twp., Westmoreland County Where Fracking And A.I. Data Center Industries Converge Residents Look To Regulation Data Centers, Mad The Township Doesn’t Regulate Shale Gas Facilities

-- TribLive: A.I. Data Center Critics Want Upper Burrell Township To Also Regulate Natural Gas Data Center Power Plants In Westmoreland County

-- Tribune-Democrat: Somerset County Unveils Proposed A.I. Data Center Ordinance: Public Hearing Tuesday [Sept. 29]

-- Tribune-Democrat: Somerset County Resident Pack Hearing To Urge Officials To Strengthen Proposed A.I. Data Center Regulations

-- Pittsburgh Media Partnership: Pennsylvania A.I. Data Center Proposals Map

Court Actions

-- PennLive - John Beauge: A.I. Data Center Project In Muncy Twp., Lycoming County Focus Of Court Challenge To PA’s ‘Deemed Approval’ Planning Code Provision

Permits/Approvals

-- SightLine: NRC Clears Environmental Review For Three Mile Island Data Center Nuclear Power Plant Restart

Impacts

-- PennLive Guest Essay: A.I. Data Centers Are Rebuilding Careers In Northeastern Pennsylvania - By Jillian Henderson, IBEW Union Local 163

-- Scranton Times Guest Essay: Northeast PA Must Seize The Opportunity Of A Digital Future - By John Yudichak, Luzerne County Community College President, Former State Senator

-- Utility Dive (Deep Dive): A.I. Data Center Boom Continues, But Projects Face Mounting Obstacles: Equipment, Labor Shortages; Utility Infrastructure; Cost/Reliability Of Power & Natural Gas Supplies And Mounting Public Opposition  

-- Utility Dive (Deep Dive): Efforts To Curb A.I. Data Center Speculation Gain Ground Across The US 

Public Participation/Meetings

-- 27+ Citizen, Environmental Groups To Hold No Data Center Rally Oct. 6 Main Capitol Rotunda In Harrisburg [PaEN]

-- DEP Invites Comments On Air Permit For Operating Natural Gas Boilers, Backup Generators At TECfusions Keystone LLC New Kensington Data Center In Westmoreland County; Stormwater Permit Issued  [PaEN] 

-- PA Data Center Hearings & Meetings - Physicians For Social Responsibility PA

Politics

-- Inquirer: ‘Data Senator’ Ad Prompts Republican State Sen. Frank Farry To Send A Cease-And-Desist Letter To His Democratic Challenger In Bucks County

-- Pittsburgh Business Times: Data Center Developers, Unions Form National Alliance - Target Pennsylvania, 6 Other States As Data Center Battle Heats Up

A.I. Policy

-- AP: President Said He Will Never ‘Stifle’ Growth Of A.I.; Promotes Voluntary Self-Policing Of A.I. Development

-- Financial Times: Anthropic Warns Of ‘Existential Risks To Humanity’ In IPO Prospectus

-- The Guardian: White House ‘Superintelligence’ Self-Policing Accord Document Includes Spelling Error On President’s Signature Line: ‘President Of The Unites States’

[Posted: October 3, 2026]  PA Environment Digest

No comments:

Post a Comment