Saturday, August 1, 2026

The Center Square: Pennsylvania Farm Bureau Endorses Statewide Moratorium On A.I. Data Center Development Amid Eminent Domain, Farmland Preservation Worries

On
July 31, The Center Square reported the 18-member Pennsylvania Farm Bureau Board voted unanimously to support a statewide moratorium on the frenzy to build A.I. data centers expressing concerns about eminent domain and preserving farmland.

The article quoted a spokesperson for the Farm Bureau as saying membership is troubled by the concept of a major utility proposing to run transmission lines across preserved farms to supply power to data centers.

Farmers outlined concerns about a PPL Electric transmission line project that proposes to use eminent domain to build the facilities for data centers.

"For us, preserved farmland is preserved farmland," said the Farm Bureau's Will Whisler. The situation in Union County, he said, makes it appear "there is no real protection for preserved farmland from transmission lines that would be put in through eminent domain."

In its statement, PPL Electric Utilities said it recognizes the importance of the farmland preservation program and the commitments to preserving land for future generations.

"Agricultural impacts are carefully considered as part of our evaluation process along with environmental impacts, engineering requirements, existing land uses, public safety, constructability, and overall project feasibility," the company said.

Click Here to read the entire article.


(Photo: The Center Square - Andy Bater, a member of the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau board.)

Related Articles This Week - Data Centers:

-- The Center Square: Pennsylvania Farm Bureau Endorses Statewide Moratorium On A.I. Data Center Development Amid Eminent Domain, Farmland Preservation Worries  [PaEN]

-- Independent Fiscal Office Reports Average Cost Of Electricity In PA Jumped 14.6% Over Past Year, Total Average PA Electricity Bill Has Increased 20.6% Since 2024  [PaEN]

-- FYI: -- A.I. Data Center Legislative Scorecard: Pennsylvania Failed To Finalize Meaningful Legislation On Energy Affordability, To Increase Electric Generation And Give Communities The Tools They Need To Cope With A.I. Proposals [PaEN] 

-- PJM Interconnection Proposes One-Time Backstop General Capacity Auction In September With A $555/MW-Day Cap On Prices - Nearly 71% Higher Than Current $325 Cap  [PaEN]

-- DEP Invites Comments On Water Quality Permit For Fill, Utility Lines Related To Aligned Data Centers Project, Shippingport Boro & Raccoon Twp., Beaver County  [PaEN] 

-- North Pocono CARE, Pocono Heritage Land Trust Host Aug. 1 Hike At Barton Brothers Property That Abuts Proposed A.I. Data Center Site In Lackawanna County  [PaEN]

-- In Case You Missed It: A.I./Data Center Articles - NewClips From Last Week - August 3  [PaEN]  

NewsClips - Data Centers:

-- The Center Square: State Lawmakers Denied Entry To Talen Energy/Amazon Data Center In Luzerne County

-- Erie Times/USAToday: Pennsylvania Electric Bills Rise 20% In 2 Years [Driven By Surge In Power Demands From Data Centers]

-- Warren Times Editorial: Rising Electricity Rates Keep Shocking Customers

-- PA Capital-Star: Leftover Low-Income Energy Assistance Funds Used To Give PA Enrollees $100 Supplemental Benefit In Face Of Spiking, Data Center-Driven Energy Costs 

-- Spotlight PA: PJM, Power Grid Can’t Handle A.I. Boom Demands As Summer Heat Triggers Emergency Orders

-- TribLive: Data Center Dash: A.I. Data Center Industry Expands Hopes In Western PA, But Its Future Remains Uncertain

-- WHYY - Zoe Read: ‘We Will Not Be Bullied:’ Plymouth Township Pushes Back Against Developer Or Proposed A.I. Data Center In Montgomery County 

-- Environmental Health Project Blog: Strategies From The Front Lines - How Communities Fight Data Centers - One Person's Experience From Springdale, Allegheny County

-- The Shenandoah Sentinel: PPL Follows Through With Threat, Begins Eminent Domain Proceedings For Grid Improvements Paid For By Ratepayers To Feed Proposed A.I. Data Center In Luzerne County 

-- Scranton Times: PPL Corp, Blackstone Spend $40.4 Million To Purchase 500 Acres In Jenkins, Plains, Salem Twps. On Possible A.I. Data Center Power Plants In Luzerne County

-- PennLive - Charles Thompson: Three Mile Island Nuclear Data Center Power Plant Restart Continues Checking Boxes, Stoking Fears

-- WITF: Three Mile Island Nuclear Data Center Power Plant Restart Progresses Thru Environmental Review, Public Comments; Former DEP Official Concerned About NRC Inspection Staff Numbers

-- PA Capital-Star: Concerns Persist As Three Mile Island Nuclear Data Center Power Plant Progresses Toward 2027 Restart

-- Post-Gazette - Anya Litvak: Westinghouse Nuclear Technology Company Files To Become Public Company [Riding Hope Of Nuclear Power Renaissance With A.I. Data Centers]

-- The Water Center, University Of Pennsylvania: Research Examines Case Studies On The Local Impact Of A.I.- Driven Data Center Growth In PA And Water Use, Energy, Communities  

-- The Guardian: US Environmental Groups Urge EPA To Reject New PFAS ‘Forever Chemical’ To Cool A.I. Data Centers

NewsClips - Data Center Politics:

-- Spotlight PA: Where Governor Candidates Garrity, Shapiro Stand On Energy Costs, The Environment, More 

-- PennLive: Republican Candidate For Governor Garrity Uses Farm Plan To Knock Data Centers, Distances Herself From President’s Tariffs 

-- Scranton Times: Republican Candidate For Governor Garrity Calls For Protecting Farmland From A.I. Data Center Development At Ag Roundtable

-- City & State PA: Q/A With PA US Sen. Dave McCormick - Data Centers, Other Issues

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader/AP: Democratic Candidate [Cognetti] For PA Swing Congressional Seat Targets A.I. Data Centers To Oust Republican [Bresnahan]

-- Scranton Times: Republican Con. Bresnahan Calls For Local Control Of A.I. Data Center Development 

--  Capital & Main: In Pennsylvania, The A.I. Data Center Wars Hit The Ballot Box; Voters Angry About Rising Electricity Bills

-- PA Capital-Star: Pro-Data Center Industry Group Behind Ad Campaign In Oregon, Pennsylvania And 5 Other States

-- AP: Democrat’s TV Ad Uses Data Centers In Effort To Oust PA Republican Congressman

-- Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader/AP: Democratic Candidate [Cognetti] For PA Swing Congressional Seat Targets A.I. Data Centers To Oust Republican [Bresnahan]

-- Scranton Times: Republican Con. Bresnahan Calls For Local Control Of A.I. Data Center Development

-- Bloomberg: Backlash Over A.I. Data Centers, Energy Costs Tests Republican Hold On Ohio

[Posted: August 1, 2026]  PA Environment Digest

No comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe To Receive Updates:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner