Located on the eastern end of Tuscarora Mountain, this wild area consists of a single tract of 5,382 acres and was one of Jim’s favorite areas.
The timber within the Tuscarora Wild Area was cut between 1902 and 1917. The felled timber was removed by a self-acting incline and logging railroad. In 1964, the Commonwealth purchased these lands from Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Company. Except for the remains of the logging railroad, there is little evidence of man-made disturbance.
Jim Nelson had a career with the Bureau of Forestry that spanned over 42 years and he served as Director of the Bureau from 1989 to 1994.
Jim was a true pioneer and agent of change in the Bureau and was responsible for creating and developing many new and ground breaking forestry programs in Pennsylvania. That list includes the comprehensive State Forest Resource Management Plan, even age management, the Natural and Wild Area program, the PA Heritage program, the Stewardship program and the Society of American Forester’s Sustainability report.
He was truly a visionary and is responsible in no small part for the good reputation of the Bureau of Forestry.The dedication ceremony will take place starting at 1:30 at the north entrance of the Wild area near the Fish and Boat Commission’s Van Dyke Fish Hatchery. DCNR Secretary Richard Allan will be a keynote speaker.
Directions from Harrisburg: Take 322/22 West to Thompsontown exit. Turn left at stop sign onto 333 and proceed to old 22 in Thompsontown. Turn right at stop sign and proceed west to Mill Street and turn left following 333. Cross over the Juniata River Bridge and continue on the south and west side of the river to the fish Hatchery on the right. Park in the lawn area.
For more information, contact Jeff Woleslagle by sending email to email@example.com or call 717-425-5366.